Monday, October 18, 2010

Kitchen Garden


It's early to be thinking about a garden, but there is a patch of land right behind the trailer that is pretty much worthless right now and needs something done to it. It's rocky, full of clay, and not even grass has managed to take a foothold in it. I told everyone I was putting a garden there and they politely told me (well, not really politely, you don't know my family) "You're nuts!"

That's beside the point. There is a method of gardening that comes by various names, sometimes referred to as sheet gardening, layer gardening, no-till gardening or even lasagna gardening. What it basically means is that you build up a growing matrix on top of your existing soil. That means laying stuff down in layers to perform various functions. As it breaks down, you add more layers and eventually you end up with a nice garden plot. I've never seen it done, but it sounds interesting and the area I want to do is nice and accessible and would make a nice kitchen garden, so I'm gonna give it a shot.
 I'm hauling logs down from the gas well road to line the garden with to keep the hay and compost in place. Got quite a few down when I hit a little snag:
Darn it! Well, it was time to stop for lunch anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment