Thursday, February 17, 2011

Tire Wall

On the other side of my bridge the land slopes down before it starts climbing the mountain up to the cabin site. This creates a not so small pond when the creek floods. In order to alleviate this issue I'm going to fill it in. However, without some way to stop the fill from washing away it would be a losing battle. To stop that from happening I'm building a wall out of tires. Now these tires have to be packed with dirt so they don't float away themselves. Usually the method to do this requires pounding dirt up into the tire sidewalls so they are solid. I'm going to take a little easier approach by cutting out one of the sidewalls so the tire resembles a large "bucket" and then filling it with sand, rocks and gravel and whatever else I can find.
Not sure what I'm going to do with the cut out sidewalls yet. I could use them in the driveway proper, just tossing them in low spots and covering them, which would add a little flotation in the mushy spots. The other purpose I'm thinking of is for the garden. I understand they can be used around plants to help warm the ground and keep down weeds.
Definitely have to get the rest of the wood on the bridge. I tried carrying one of the large tires over the  metal beams. My balance was off and that water is way too cold to go swimming just yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment